Thursday, September 26, 2013

Wonder

Dear Fourth Graders,

The main character in Wonder, August, is attending school for the first time as a fifth grader. What is his motivation for going to school? What are his struggles?  How does he feel? What advice would you give him to overcome those struggles?

Please push your thinking and use examples from the text to support your answer. Remember to use complete sentences and fourth grade level conventions.

Your friend,
Ms. MacDonald


28 comments:

  1. Dear Ms.MacThiel,

    Augusts motivation for going to school is his mom thought it was a good idea so August decided to try going to school. An example from the text on how I know is in the car Auggie hears his parents talking he then considers the idea and decides it’s a good idea to go to school.
    Augusts struggle is people are looking at him in a funny sort of way and talking behind their hands and behind Augusts back. Another struggle of Augusts is Julian isn’t being very nice to August. August feels kind of miserable when people talk behind their hands about him. August also feels kind of scared and nervous about going to this new school when he has never even been to a real school before. The advice I would give to Auggie about his troubles are: don’t listen to anybody when they say something mean. Stick close to the people you can trust and are your friends. Ignore mean comments.

    Sincerely,
    Your student, Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ms,MacThiel,

    August’s motivations for going to school are making new friends but doesn't stop him from getting bullied, learning, and having fun. August’s struggles are deformity,bullies,and making new friends.I think August feels sad, because of his deformity bullies are making fun of him and people stare at him and whisper about him.my advice would be to act normal, keep his head high,be brave,and be a leader.



    Your,student Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ms. MacThiel,

    August wants to go to school to be like all the other kids. His motivation to keep going is thanks to the few sweet kids at school, like Jack and Summer. Most of his struggles are Julian’s fault. Though some of them have to do with his facial deformity. It really surprised me that someone would be that mean. Does Julian know what struggles he's causing for poor August? August feels sad and I really don’t blame him who would be that mean to any living person? I really hate Julian! Oh my gosh I’m glad this story isn’t real. August must feel so bad. If I could give August any advice to deal with his struggles. It would be to keep going. I sometimes really wish he would talk a little more and say what he really wants to say. I really want August to have more self confidence a lot more than what he has now.

    Your student,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ms. MacDonald and Ms. MacTheil,


    August parents first wanted August to go to school so he can make friends and hang out with some new nice people. August has a hard time making new friend because of his face disorder. Also he has a hard time putting his head up so people can see his face. Right now in the book i think he is mad at his mom but feels good that he made a friend(summer). This is my advice to August, he should be brave if someone makes fun of him and whispers to any of there friends he need to speak up and not be afraid! He can talk to people and ask to be his friend even if he doesn't want to he should and it is hard to be new to the school. he needs to be himself!!!


    from your student,
    Isabella G


    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ms.MacThiel,

    I think August`s motivation is his parents. In the beginning of Wonder August didn’t want to go to school but his mom thought it would be good for him to go because he could make new friends.
    I also think he has multiple struggles. One is hes struggling on making friends.He only has three Summer,Charlotte,and Jack. Julian is a bigger struggle then making friends anyway all he does is bully people.
    I think August feels sad. He keeps getting made fun of and hes always getting bullied. He thinks the way he can stop getting bullied is to change his personality. I think that hes mad and sad because of this stuff.
    If I were to give him any advice I would say be yourself and make some more friends.


    Your student,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mrs.MacThiel,
    Hi my name is Emma and I am going to tell you about a boy named August. I think that August’s motivation is his parents. Some struggles are making new friends, being bullied and learning without being glared at. I think that he feels inbarest, scared and nerves. I know that Julian is not a very nice kid and mean. Some advice that I would give August is I would stand up for my self and keep trying to get more courage.


    From,
    Emma B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Ms. MacThiel,

    August in Wonder goes to school but he would not go to school without being motivated. August is motivated by his mom. I don’t remember exactly what she said but she said something like “I don’t know enough to give you a good education.” He also wanted to go to school because he made friends with Jack the day they showed him around
    Going to school for August wasn't so easy. Here are some of August struggles. He is made fun of by Julian, no one wants to sit by him in classes, and Julian thinks he is not smart. Julian making fun of him is his biggest problem. I would be really sad and mad if someone called me Darth Sidious!
    I am not August, but if I were August here’s how I would feel. I would feel sad because I would be stuck with a facial deformity in school with a boy who makes fun of me! August sounds really tough to not cry with people making fun of him. Like I said, I can't imagine being called Darth Sidious! Especially if teachers don’t understand, a teacher saying “You can talk about star wars at recess.” I would be so angry if a teacher didn't stand up for me.
    I’m really interested in the book and I really wish I could give August some advice. If I could give August advice I would say “Don’t listen to what others say, just be yourself and be proud about it no matter how you look” I think since he cried in the book He didn't know how important it is to be yourself.

    Your student,
    Emma F.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mrs. MacDonald and Thiel,

    August parents wanted him to start going to school, and he needed more friends, and be more out to people.

    August is struggling on people staring at him, not having any friends ,people saying mean thing about his face or saying stuff like you act weird and his mom keeps wearing about him


    I think August feels sad when people stare at him all the time, embarrassed, but then when he was eating lunch this girl named summer came to eat with August and i think that he started to feel better because she was being so nice

    here is some advice I would give August to ignore people that are talking rudely to him and he should be brave and if people say mean stuff then he should just say ok whatever you say cause he knows what is true about him and the other people don't

    your student,
    Lynsey

    ReplyDelete

  9. Dear Ms. MacDonald,

    His motivation is his parents telling him all the great things he could do at school. His mom says that she can not keep teaching him. Also his sister says that most of the kids there are going to be new just like him.

    Having his face deformed so he is scared of how other people will think of him. Not having many friends to play with or to talk with. Nervous that nothing good will happen at school.

    Scared about other peoples thoughts and what they think of him.

    Be strong don’t worry about other people and what they think of you August. Be the person that you want to be.



    Your, Student
    Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Ms MacThiel,

    August’s motivation to going to school is he wants his mom to be proud of him that he is really going to school. He has many motivations like Augest wants to learn more what his mom is teaching him. Also,he wants to make much more friends.

    August has many struggles. One of his struggles is going to school with his deformity. Another struggle is makeing friends. He has three friends Jack,Summer,and Charlotte.


    In my way I think Augest feels kind of not wanted. Or left out of groups. Another way I think augest feels sad in many ways like left out,or not safe.


    Some advice I would give august is to keep trying. Mabey to stand up to julian and be brave.I think Augst should stay with summer.


    Your student,
    Jayden

    ReplyDelete



  11. Dear Ms. MacThiel,
    August’s motivation is his mom thought it would be good for him she took him to the school to have a look he liked it so he decided to go to school. His struggle is his facial deformity and going to school because Julian is a bully to him. I think he feels scared and maybe mad at Julian because he is a bully. The advice I would give him is to stay true to his self and hang out with the people that appreciate him for his personality.

    Your friend,
    Riley O.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Ms. MacThiel,

    I really love the book Wonder. I think August’s motivation for going to school is his Mom, Dad and sister. They all support him, love him and care for him. They will always keep him in their hearts. August’s struggles are getting picked on by Julian. Another struggle for August is having a facial deformity he learned to live with getting looked at all the time. If I could give August any advice I would say it does not matter what other people think about you its what you think about you.


    Your student,

    Luke A.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Mrs. MacThiel,

    In the book Wonder, Auggie’s motivation is that he wants to make new friends and learn new things. Also, he does want his parents to be happy and proud. His struggles are that he has to overcome that kids will pick on him and talk and whisper about Auggie. Auggie feels sad and scared. Also, he is mad at his mom for some reason. My advice that I would give him is to ignore that Julian. Or give him a piece of your mind ,don’t let him get all of the power you are you and you have power. Be strong.

    From your student,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Ms. MacThiel,

    August’s motivation is his mom and dad telling him to be himself and his new friends Charlotte, Jack Will and Summer doing that too. His struggles are his facial deformations making him nervous for school. August feels kind of scared of going to school because he doesn’t want anybody seeing his face deformations. The kind of advice I would give him is to be himself and to not be afraid.


    Your Student,
    Luke M.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Mrs. MacThiel,

    August’s motivation is he wants to learn, and he may need to make some friends too.
    Though with his deformities he might be teased or bullied.
    From what I heard he feels teased and glad, glad because he made some friends.
    My advice would be tell your mom August, she will help you alot. It is always better to let your feelings out than in. Julian will get in trouble and things will get better, I guess.


    your student,
    Faith


    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Ms. MacThiel,

    I think August’s motivation is his parents telling him that he will make new friends and learn more than her homeschooling him. Another motivation is he will learn how to deal with bullies. His struggles are getting bullied by Julian and he’s not making friends. Half of the bullying is his face.
    He has a natural face deformity. I think August feels very nervous. My advice to August is to ignore Julian.

    Your student,
    Topher B.














    ReplyDelete

  17. Dear Ms.MacThiel,

    August’s motivation is to have more friends. His struggles are people are making fun of him and Julian is being a bully because his face is deformed. He feels really sad. The advice I would give him is to ask people to stop making fun of him.



    From,
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Ms. MacTheil,



    I think that Augusts motivation is his sister and his friends he might even think his motivation is being normal. His struggles are getting bullied by Julian and making friends. And I think that he feels like hes ugly or that hes dumb. I would give him the advice that he should try to be strong and ignore the people that bully him.


    Sincerely,
    cool Karsten.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Ms. MacThiel,

    His motivations are Summer and Jack are his only friends and they’re making him stay. Also,he has good teachers that treat him the same way as a regular kids.
    His struggles are that Julian is mean and he is making fun of august by calling him sidious. Also people are trying to avoid him.
    I think he is feeling sad and happy because his friends Jack and Summer are good friends. Also he is feeling sad because Julian is making fun of him.
    My advice is to either ignore him or tell the teacher. Also to not seek revenge. Just stay cool. :)

    from:Ryan,

    ReplyDelete








  20. Dear Ms.MacThiel,
    August’s motivation for going to school is he wants new buddies or friends.

    August’s struggles are his making friends progress and his facial deformities.

    I think August’s feels sad and happy because he made a few friends but some people are still making fun of him.

    I could help august get over his struggles by helping him stand up for himself and feel better for himself.


    Your Student,
    Devin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Ms. MacThiel,


    I think it would be pretty hard going to school on the first day of school and it would also be hard if you were new. Or were borne with your face looking weerd. Some of his struggles might be getting along with other kids but summer can help him with that. He also might have struggles with eating without getting messy.The advice I would give him would be never give up on your self.Stand up for your self.don’t let people bully you. Be strong.
    Thats the advice I would give him.I think him motivation would be his mom .His mom is pushing him to make new friends. Another motivation is bullys like Julian and his Darth sidious joke thats what I think



    Your Student
    Sofia Q.







    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Mrs. MacThiel,

    I think his motivation is he wants to be more normal. Also he does not want to be babied by his mom. Augusts struggles are his face being deformed also he gets picked on in school. I think he feels all icky inside sad,worried,maybe even scared. If I could give August advice I’d tell him be yourself. Don’t hide your face.You can be whoever you want to. If you want to be your self go hang out with Summer and Jack. Also ignore Julian when he picks on you. Also ignore the Darth sidious comment.That is what I would do.
    Your student,
    Gianna

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Ms. MacThiel,
    August’s motivation for going to school is trying to fit in he wants to fit in so bad he ends up going to school to try to fit in. I also think Jack will is trying to motivate August by being his friend. His parents also are motivating him by saying he will make more friends
    His struggles are being made fun of his face and trying to fit in because he is new to school and he does not have very many friend’s.
    I am sure he is sad because he is being teased by Julian and maybe he is mad because he just wants to fit in.
    My advice for August is to just ignore all the things he is uncomfortable with so he can have a better learning environment. Thats my advice for August. I am loving this book keep reading this book!

    With best regards,
    Stephen



    ReplyDelete
  24. Ms.MacThiel,
    August motivation is his parents want him to go to school and to meet new friend’s. His struggles is he does not want to go to school he is scared to make new friends. He feels sad because he was scared to make new friends and to feel like he does not belong here his feelings are that he wants to make new friend and he wants to belong at the school. Sometime he need to stick up for his self and be who you want to be.


    Your student,
    Reilly :)


    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Mrs. MacThiel,
    HI
    August is getting motivated by his parents. He is struggling with Julian.He is getting bullied about what he look’s like by Julian.
    I just bet that he feels SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    SAD.(Plus scared because Julian called him Darth sidious).If I could hope into the book and save august from the bully. Then I would .






    Your little student,

    Kelli;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Ms.MacThiel,



    August the main character in Wonder is attending school for the first time. His motivation is that his mom is terrible at fractions. Plus he wants to make friends and August knows its for his own good. August’s struggles are Julian is teasing him and he has no friends. He feels very lonely and sad. August also feels a bit annoyed his mom and dad and sister Via. The advise I would give him if I could would be “August you need to tell someone about these people teasing you.When I was teased I told my mom and the teasing stopped immediately”

    Your Student,
    Lydia


    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Mrs. MacThiel,
    My advice for August would be: don’t let anybody tell you how to look, or act. Also, you should really let your family help, and protect you. I think that it might make you feel a little better if you talk to your mom, sister, or dad about Julian. August’s motivation is most likely how nice all of the teachers are acting. August’s answer to “How was school?” Might have been very different according to Summer. I’ll bet August’s answer would have to be said in between tears, and instead it was “Fine.” He really appreciated summer standing up and helping him, instead of laughing with her friends at August, and talking behind their hands whenever he passed or sat alone at the table next to them. Instead, summer ignored her friends and started a conversation with him. Thats another motivation that helped august want to go back to school. He will do great!

    Your reader,
    Corbin :]

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Ms MacThiel,


    Hi Ms MacThiel this is my blog post. August’s motivation is to have more friends. He does have 2 friends. His struggles are that he is getting bullied at school. He feels sad so he cuts off his brade. This is my advice to tell his mom and his dad about his first day at school.





    From,
    Anika

    ReplyDelete