Monday, April 7, 2014

Picking a Passage


Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like you to choose one passage from chapters 15-17 in Number the Stars that stands out to you for some reason.  The reason could be, but is not limited to; being well written, powerful, sad, funny, clever, surprising, exciting, interesting, etc. Please include the passage in quotations, the page number you found the passage on and an explanation of why you chose the passage.  Please see my example below:

"So there were other sources, too, of pride, and they had not left everything behind."  (page 94)
I chose this passage because it was powerful to me.  It made me think about what pride means and how important it is for people to believe in themselves.  Annemarie talked about how Ellen was dressed in shabby clothes that were not her own to stay warm when she was getting ready to take the boat to Sweden with Peter. Annemarie thought that Ellen may have been ashamed of the clothes and having to sneak around. But Annemarie realized that Ellen and her family did not let their appearance discourage them from being proud of their Jewish heritage and stand up for themselves. Annemarie did her best to picture her best friend in proud moments, like when she was acting in the school play, so she could remember Ellen that way.

Enjoy your reading and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.  Remember to push your thinking!

Sincerely,
Ms. MacDonald

28 comments:

  1. Dear class,

    “ Annemarie willed herself, with all her being, behave as Kersti would.” (pg.113)
    I thought this passage was amusing because her mom said to be a silly little girl, and the first thing she thought was be like Kirsty! That is true, Kirsty is a little girl. Don't you see how thats pretty funny?! The thing is kirstys five years younger than her and she still does a perfect impression of her. She started out nice and happy, then yelled, and finally cried. This would have made me laugh if my hand wasn’t over my mouth. I hope it made you giggle as well.

    From,
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ms. MacDonald,




    My favor quote was”Uncle Henrik look! The god of thunder has fallen into the milk pail!” This quote speaks to me because Annmarie and Uncle Henrik had just had a very serious conversation about what had happened on the boat and what this all meant. Annmarie finally got the truth about the handkerchief,the passage,and Peter. After that conversation Annmarie had it seem like nothing had happened and it was just a normal day a normal life with the sprinkles of laughter along the way. I like how funny it is and how the author chose that to end the chapter with. That’s my favorite passage.



    You're student,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ms. MacThiel,

    “She opened her hands and showed him the necklace. “Can you fix this? I’ve kept it all this long time it was Ellen’s.” her father took it from her and examined the broken clasp “Yes” he said “I can fix it. When the Rosens come home you can give it back to Ellen” “Until then,” Annemarie told him, “I will wear it myself.”
    (page 132)
    I chose this passage because it stood out to me the last thing Annemarie says in the book is this:
    “Until the I will wear it myself.”
    This shows that she cares for Ellen and doesn't care that Ellen is Jewish. Annemarie is telling herself that the war is over by wearing the necklace she knows that no one will stop her and that she is safe and Ellen is too. she knows that there will be no more soldiers on every corner and that she will be able to do whatever she wanted to do even if it had something to do with Ellen’s family, the necklace and best of all Ellen herself.

    Your student,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear mrs.MacDonald & mrs.Thiel,

    On page 123 “That’s all Bravery is not thinking about the dangers only thinking about what you must do.” I chose that quote because it really speaks to me and I think it is very wise like something Yoda Would say. It made me think of Annemarie running through the woods only thinking of what she had to do. Not even thinking about the dangers of doing it. Just knowing that it is important and it needed to be done. I think that is what this book is based upon not knowing that you’re being brave but that you are and you just don’t know it.

    From,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ms. MacThiel,

    “He had written a letter to them from prison the night before he was shot. It said simply that he loved them and, that he was not afraid, and that he was not afraid, and that he was proud to have done what he could for his country and his people”.
    Page 129

    This stood out to me because it made me think about how much people died on trying to save their country and it made me think of pride and courage what it really means. When Peter was in jail he was not afraid to die for his country.


    Your friend,
    Anika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mrs. MacThiel



    The passage I chose was this

    “ They took my bread, eh?” “I hope they choke on it.”
    (page 119)
    I chose this passage because I thought it was funny. I thought it was funny because it seemed like he said it in a sarcastic funny sounding tone. Also, Lois Lowry made It in a way and place that made it feel funny.


    Your student,
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mrs. MacDonald,
    My passage that I picked was:

    “Papa? she said, Returning to the to the balcony with the gold star of david in her hand, where the her father was standing with the others, watching the rejoicing crowd . She opened her hand and showed him the necklace. “Can you fix this? I have kept it all this long time. It was Ellen’s”.
    Her father took it from her and examined the broken clasp. “Yes,” he said. “I can fix it. When the Rosen come home, you can give it back to Ellen.” Until then ,” Annemarie told him, “ I will wear it myself.”

    I Think this passage is strong. I think it show a sign of relief. I chose this passage because it is powerful to me. It shows that Annmarie is being really caring to Ellen even if she Jewish that she is respected. it show that she stood up to the German army. The star of David shows that the war is down and Hitler is dead. It show that she saved her friend's life because of a tiny handkerchief. It show that the girls will reunited with each other some day. It is one of the more sticking out passages in the book. I think this 10 year old is as brave as a worrier. and for this star of David hidden all this time is the thing that will keep these girl together no matter where they are.

    By,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mrs. MacDonald


    “Suddenly, to her own surprise, she started to cry. I don’t know! she said, her voice choked. My Mothers going to be angry that you stopped me and made me late. And you’ve completely ruined Uncle Henrik's lunch, so he’ll be mad at me, too!”


    This passage stands out to me that Annemarie would act so sad and completely go off subject. I think she is kind of missing the point on purpose so they can get off subject and not open the package. It is a weird passage to me because she doesn’t keep acting like an idiot girl and being dum. I think she is copying kirsti so she can keep acting like she does not know anything. This passage stood out to me that way.


    Your Student,
    Caleb R.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear class,

    “How brave are you little Annmarie?”
    (pg.75)

    I chose this passage because it completely speaks to me. Right when I first read this I knew what I was going to say it is so intelligent and beautiful words but it has mystery in it to. I was wondering what was going to happen and I think that is one of the best sayings in the book I could read it over and over again. It made me think of just the pressure if you really aren't brave and you say you are but you can't handle the news so you cry,but you never want to say you aren't brave especially to a family member. When you do you feel weak and not very good. This always tells me to just say the truth it cant hurt. That is why I love this sentence.


    Sincerely,
    Devin



    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Ms. MacThiel,
    My favorite passage was:
    “That’s all that brave means-not thinking about the dangers. Just thinking about what you must do.Of course you were frightened.I was too, today. But you kept your mind in what you had to do. So did I. Now let me tell you about the Rosens” (p.123)
    I like this passage because it is powerful to me. It shows me that being scared does not mean you’re not brave. Annemarie was so brave going at all. She could have turned around but she didn’t. I would have been too scared to even try to distract myself of the danger. I wish the officers didn’t stop her. Annemarie is so brave. I hope we all can be like that too.

    Sincerely,
    Emma F.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Ms. MacThiel,
    My favorite passage was on page 121:

    “I could have done it, you only have to pull and it squirts out. I could do it easily.” Kirsti says that. It made me laugh because Kirsti did not know what it was like to milk Blossom. She was very humorous. She probably made everyone laugh when they read it.


    From, Luke M.



    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Ms. Mac Donald,

    The passage that I chose that really stood out to me was: “He interrupted her, smiling. “ That’s all brave means- not thinking about the dangers. Just thinking about what you must do. Of course you were frightened. I was too, today. But you kept your mind on what you had to do. So did I.” The passage was found at the top of page 123 in chapter 16. This passage speaks out to me because it really explains the true meaning of brave. It doesn't make being brave sound so hard. It really explains that all you have to do is carry out what you were told to do and not think about it that much. It also is kind of an inspiring passage. It kind of inspires and encourages you to be brave and just don’t think about the challenging task ahead of you.
    I really liked that passage. I’m glad you read Number the Stars to us.

    Sincerely,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Ms.MacDonald,

    The passage I picked was “If anyone stops you, you must pretend to be nothing more then a silly little girl.” (page 113)
    I chose this passage because it was powerful to me. It made me think how would I act as a silly little girl. Also what I would do if I were Annemarie and would I even have the bravery and courage.
    Back in the book Annemarie said that she” is glad to be an ordinary girl because she will never use courage”. Well she is using courage to walk on the path all the way to Uncle Henriks boat when there might be soliders on the path with there dogs.


    Your student,
    Isabella


    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Class,

    I chose this passage,

    “I’m teaching this one new habits, Kirsti explained importantly. And I have named him Thor for the god of Thunder.”


    I chose this paragraph because it is funny why would a kitten be named the god of thunder also I chose this paragraph because it is clever because in the middle of the story it says “And Kirsti,” she added, “the God of Thunder made a very small rain shower in the corner of the kitchen floor. Keep an eye on him.”

    That is why I chose this passage.


    From your reader the one that reads a lot,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete

  15. “She remembered what her mother had said. “If anyone stops you, you must pretend to be nothing more than a silly little girl.” (page 113)


    I choose this passage because I thought that it was clever advice. I like that her mom trusted her to go on a dangers misen. I thought that Annamarie was brave to go out there and keep her moms advice. Annamarie had courage when the notiz stopped her. she passed the misen and even though she got caught she was able to do it



    Your student,

    Reilly p.

    ReplyDelete

  16. Dear Mrs. Thiel and Mrs. MacDonald,

    My passage is “”All is well,” He said softly. “Don’t worry. Everything is all right. I wasn’t sure,” he said. “But now”- he eyed the basket in his hands - “because of you, Annemarie, everything is alright.”” (pg. 119 Number the Stars) This passage speaks to me because it is - to me - a message of triumph for Annemarie and that she was being brave the whole time without noticing it. That’s really a big, big part of being brave, just focusing on what you need to accomplish without noticing the danger or noticing it without letting it stand in your way. I bolded the “because of you Annemarie” (if it shows up) because it was all because of her that nobody got discovered in the boat. And because of little Annemarie, all is well.
    -The most awesome person who ever lived (drum roll) Corbin!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. And I forgot about that passage and that would make me feel very good if I saved a boat.
      This was brought to you by the.................. Amazing Faith!!!!!

      Delete
  17. Dear Mrs. MacThiel
    “Thats all that brave is” pg. 123
    This passage stuck out to me because at some times I have to be brave when I didn't know what was actually happening. I remembered when Annemarie was running through the woods not knowing what's coming. Like the time I had to get shots and my mom told me that we were getting medicin. You will never know when you get called upon courage.
    You must always be ready for it. Also, you must face it.


    From, Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Mrs.MacThiel,
    I think that this line really popped out to me. How brave are you, little Annemarie. P.G. 75. I think that she did the right thing. She knew that something was going wrong and something was really weird. I think that she really did that right thing. It popped out to me because she knew there was something going on. People in the book said that she is not a person that has courage and here she is having carriage. It really stood at in my mind and whenever I see or hear about the book that will be one on the lines I will remember in my little mind. I am happy for her that she did it. It really stood out to me.

    Your Student,
    Lynsey C.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Mrs.MacThiel,


    I think that the passage from p.g 117 “The soldier took out the packet. “Why was this so carefully hidden? ”he snapped. Annemarie wiped her eyes on the sleeve of her sweater . ``I wasn’t hidden,any more than the napkin was. I dont know whats it is.” That she realized was true” Speaked to me because it was exciting and you did not know what would happen next it was very nerve racking. Also I could imagine every seen. She explained it very well so you could imagine it so well like me.


    From,
    Gianna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Ms.MacThiel,
    My passage is”She had remembered what her mother had said if anyone stops you,you must pretend to be nothing more than a silly little girl. (page 113)
    I choose this passage because it was silly but good advice that isn't like any other and it shows how trust worthy,and brave she is. That would take a lot of courage so much I would break under pressure.

    Your student,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Mrs Mac. Thiel,

    On page 78. I think that Annemarie used initiative when Ellen said “I’m so sorry your great-aunt Birte died” She had to listen but to say nothing in return. On page 85. Mama used a lot of courage to stand up to that natzi soldiers and lie to him that great-aunt Birte died of “typhus and the deadly germs might be still in her.” On page 39. Ellen used self discipline to control her feelings when she thought that the soldiers would come in the middle of the night and take her away.


    By Emma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Mrs. Macthiel,

    I think the passage that stuck out to me is when Annemarie was talking to the soldiers and this was on pages (113 to 11) acting like Kirsti a.k.a a silly little girl who Said things like when she said “don’t that's uncle Henrik’s bread!” and when she said “good morning.” I think it was very brave to go out in the woods to deliver a special package to a boat. This really pops out to me and I will do it if I ever need to in the future.
    Your friend,
    Sofia Q,

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Mrs. Mac Thiel,

    “That’s all that brave means- not thinking about the dangers. Just thinking about what you must do.” (Page 123). I love that because I too needed to learn what brave meant. The strong word really means something to my family. My three great uncles, my great grandpa, and both my grandpas all served in a world war or vietnam.

    From,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Mrs. MacThiel,

    Mama, page 83-86 She used problem-solving because she was making up lies to make the Nazies leave the house without opening the casket.
    Problem-solving



    Papa, chapter 6 When Annemarie, Mama and Ellen were about to go to mama’s brother papa wanted to go but he stayed home instead of going to the sea and creating subscene.
    Cooperation



    Annemarie, chapter 9 She used cooperation because when Ellen said that she was sorry that great aunt Birte was dead Annemarie cooperation and did not tell her that there was no such thing as great aunt Birte.
    Cooperation





    Your student,
    Anika

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Mrs. Mac Donald,

    “How brave are you little Annemarie?”
    (page 75)
    I choose this passage because it speaks to me because It seems to be a very important passage because that tells me that Annemarie has to be pretty brave. To even answer that question is probably means she Will have to be brave in the future.

    Your truly,
    Riley O

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear class,

    The passage that stood out to me is on page 129 ( also chapter 17)

    “It had simply said that he loved them, that he was not afraid, and that he was proud to have done what he could for his country and for the sake of all people. He asked in the letter, to be buried besides Lise.”

    He wrote this note as his last hours ticked by before he was shot. This passage stuck out to me because this shows a sigh that he loved his family and that he done all the stuff that he needed to do. He left this world with dignity.

    Your friend,
    Jayden

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Mrs. MacThiel,
    “No meat he asked, glancing at the basket and the napkin that lay in its bottom. Annemarie gave him a withering look. You know we have no meat, she said insolently.” that passage speaks to me because it shows she is brave. Brave enough to be mean to someone who can easily kill her.
    From,
    Topher.

    ReplyDelete