Dear Class,
Today we read an article from Time for Kids that discusses Lindsey Vonn's request to compete against men in the World Cup downhill skiing competition. Do you think women should be allowed to compete against men in sports? Take a stand and defend your opinion.
Your teacher,
Ms. MacDonald
Dear Mrs.Macdonald and Mrs Thiel,
ReplyDeleteI think men should compete against women because what if a team plays every other team in their age group? Then the men should be able to play against women. Also, my brother had soccer practice sunday and he is 13 but he played 15-16 girls league and his team beat the girls! But, depending on the situation I think the girls would beat the boys. Plus if you totally smoke the competition you should be able to do sports against women. I think it would be interesting to play against women.
Sincerely,
Stephen
Dear Ms MacDonald,
ReplyDeleteI think that they should but only if they want to if they don't want to than they don't have to do it. Vonn’s request will be heard and I think that she is right because women can do what they want and they can have fun. My Aunt is a firefighter and she is really strong and athletic. So women can compete against men in sports. They have there rites. They should stand up against men and compete and see who is really better!
From, Ryan
Dear Ms. MacThiel,
ReplyDeleteI’m finding that I’m the only one thinking this way but I really do think that it wouldn’t be fair if men and women competed in sports. See I know that our bodies are built differently men are often stronger and faster than most women, this isn’t bad it’s just that we are both very different. I think that if women were playing a sport like football against men they might literally get killed I’m not saying all men are stronger and faster than women there are. There are probably a few women who could easily play football against men but finding a whole team of them might take a while. We are both better at different things and sports are something men are very good at. There is skiing though which is mentioned in the article some might say that you don’t have to be strong r fast to ski. But I think it helps a lot to be strong when you ski. I really do feel that it is best when men compete against men and women compete against women. To me that makes it all fair.
Your student,
Ella
Dear Mrs MacDonald,
ReplyDeleteYes, I think that woman should be able to compete against men because we have the same write as men. If I were Lindsey Vonn I would not give up I would stay strong and believe in myself just like her that is the main reason that I think strongly about this.
From,
Emma B
Dear Ms. MacDonald,
ReplyDeleteI think that girls should be able to compete against guys in sports. Guys may have the advantage of being a little bigger and a little stronger, but that doesn't mean that girls can’t compete against them. Some girls may even be a little bit bigger and stronger than a few of the men. Girls have come along in sports so why can’t girls show how good girls are by competing against guys? Girls should be able to compete against guys in sports, girls may actually beat the guys in a few things. I vote girls can be up against boys!!!
Sincerely,
Your Student Sophie
Dear Mrs. MacThiel,
ReplyDeleteI think women like Lindsey Vonn sould have the rights to compete against men in the world cup. Many women have the same speed, same height, same strength as men do in the world cup. Women athletes come a really far from title six just to not compete against men in downhill skiing. many women still fight to compete against men in the world cup. Danica Patrick won third in the indianapolis 500 in 2009. If women had the right to ski agents boys it would be more exciting and more people will be more intrigued by skiing. Thats my opinion what's yours?
Your student,
Jayden
Dear Ms.MacTheil,
ReplyDeleteI think that boys and girls could do whatever they want and even play against each other. I think that they should play against each other because boys and girl they are both humans. If you watch boys and girls they are just the same they can do any sports boys can do. You might not think that girls play hockey but there is no girl hockey teams so you have to be on a boy team and go with that. Nothing could happen they have the same skills that boys have. My brother plays against girls in hockey and they are just as good as boys. There should be no problem with boys and girls on the same team or even playing together.
Your Student
Lynsey C.
Dear Lynsey,
DeleteI like your opinion but their are girls teams in hockey. I really think that girls should have the rights.
From,
Devin
Dear Ms. MacDonald and Ms. Thiel,
ReplyDeleteI think girls should be able to compete against men because they deserve the right to decide. Not all girls are soft and all girls should get to decide if they want a challenge or if they want to go against themselves. Why do women get the right to vote and yet not even have the right to compete against men? This is a free country. Why call it a free country when women don’t have the right to have a challenge? And they still can’t have the right to compete against men.
Your student,
Emma F.
Dear Ms.Macdonald and Ms.Thiel,
ReplyDeleteI think women should be able to compete with men if they want to. I think women are just as good at sports as men. Vonn wants to compete with men and I think all women should be able to compete with men if they want to.
Your student,
Topher
Dear Mrs.Thiel and Mrs. Macdonald,
ReplyDeleteI believe that women should play against men. If that woman is too skilled for the other woman then why stop her from getting better competition? Lindsey Vonn sound very talented and she wants to become a better skier, don't we want talented people? And does the name really matter? Cant there be a skiing group of both boys and girls? And if you want to be with your own gender why not go the women's skiing group or the mens skiing group? I see this as what she wants and what some women around the world want. And this goes for all sports, because all sports have competition. In my league if one soccer team dominates the rest they get moved up a level. So if you're on the county's team and theres no moving up to the next level, so the next challenge would be boys, then let them play boys. They said in the article that boys have body advantages so why not see what happens? It would be very entertaining. And stopping her from playing would discourage other young athletes from going higher that they can.
That's my opinion,
Faith
January 21, 2014
ReplyDeleteDear Mrs. MacThiel,
I think women should be able to compete against men in sports. For starters, women can be as good as men at sports. Secondly some women are as strong as men and sometimes even stronger. Next women should have the right to compete against men. Finally lots of women want to compete against men. That is why I think women should be able to compete against men.
Your student,
Nathan
Dear Mrs Macdonald,
ReplyDeleteI think that woman should be able to compete in men sports because if I were a girl I would want to be treated like everybody else if I were not able to play sports I love. Everyone should be able to play any competitive sport they want to play even if its against men or woman! Woman should be able to do what men do I think woman should be competing in every sport!
Your student,
Luke A
Dear Mrs.MacDonald,
ReplyDeleteI do think that girls should compete in sports against boys in sports because girls can be just as good as boys any day and they can be not as good as boys but just because we lose doesn't mean we can’t play boys. I have played boys and won all the games. i have played a boys team and lost. But in sports boys and girls are not much different.
From,
Devin
Dear Ms.MacDonald,
ReplyDeleteI do think that women should compete against men in sports because woman can do things that men can do too. Also men might be stronger, bigger but that doesn’t mean that girls can’t do that sport. If I was Lindsey Vonn I would stay strong and believe in myself just like her. That is why I believe strongly about this.
From your student,
Isabella
Dear Edward,
ReplyDeleteYou should have opened your heart to the world and let it come inside. All the people that you met you ended up loving them correct? So giving up realy? Maybe the next person that finds you you might just love them to. When I was a little girl I lost my grandma and I still miss her but I overcame the loss of losing her and let my family love me just the way she loved me and I bet if she was still her I bet she would say “Don’t give up go on stand out be found” Just the way that Abilene would say to you.
From your Friend,
Anika
Dear Ms.MacThiel,
ReplyDeleteI think that women should be able to compete against men. Girls are just as good as boys are. Plus if Lindsey Vonn is better than those girls then why stop her. She won the olympic gold medal in downhill skiing and won 26 world cup downhill records. So what if men are manly stronger and faster.It’s a free country. That proves girls are just as good as boys. Girls should be able to compete against boys.
Your friend,
Tessa
DeleteDear Tessa.
I love your piece it is like a cheer for girl power.I also think girls should compete against boys in the world cup.Your piece can help girls really good at sports feel better about competing against boys.
from, Gianna B
Dear Mrs. MacThiel,
ReplyDeleteToday we read Debate. I think yes. Women should be able to compete against men. My opinion is that women should be able to compete against men. I think this because, women are as good as men. Women have been shot down a lot because of their gender. But, we are as good as men. We may not look like it but we are as strong. We can take falls and crashes. We need to take a new challenge . How cares what other people say and do. I have been shot down to the bottom just because I was a girl. It hurts. It was when I was playing pool with my neighbors and they said I should be on the best players team because I was a girl. But, my dad heard that and said that I could choose my team. Other times I have been kicked of the team because the boys thought it was too dangerous for me. There are some disadvantages. But girls can take guys in everything. Not just sports. Be strong ladies and face men. We can take the challenge and do are best. Mental can take the physical.
Dear Mrs MacDonald,
ReplyDeleteShould women compete against men in sports? This is a fair question on both sides of the picture. I agree with both sides but at the same time there has to be an answer. I agree that women should not be allowed to compete against men in sports because they don’t have as strong muscles as men. I’m not trying to make women look bad but I think it is most common that men have stronger muscles than women. “ It’s called the Mens world cup and the Ladies world cup”. “The men race in the mens world cup and the ladies race the ladies world cup”. Those details can help you understand that they call those races their titles for a reason and why I think women should not be able to compete against men in sports.
Sincerely,
Caleb