Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Your Opinion-School Subjects

Dear Class,

Which subject at school do you think will be completely useless in the future? Which one(s) do you think will be most important to you? Why?

Please be sure to take a stand and support it with real experiences from your life. And as always, push your thinking!

Your friend,
Ms. MacDonald

48 comments:

  1. Dear Ms.Macdonald and Ms. Thiel,

    I think that writing would be useless in the future because unless you’re going to become an author you’re not going to write stories on your taxes. And it would be useless because I think I am going to be a chemistry teacher when I grow up. I think chemistry would be important because I want to be a chemistry teacher when I grow up.

    Sincerely,

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Stephen,

      I do not agree that writing is not important it is important because you couldn't write a letter or do what I am doing right now! But chemistry is important because we wouldn't have medicine only the ones from plants.

      Delete
    2. Dear Stephen,
      Sure if you’re really planning on being a chemistry teacher writing is pretty useless. But if you're planning to go to college (which you are) you’re going to need to write things like essays. Maybe learning to write fantasy stories is useless to you but think about some other types of writing. I for instance am planning to be an author and if I wasn’t taught writing I would be doomed!!! So as you can see writing isn’t completely useless.

      Your classmate,
      Ella

      Delete

  2. Dear Ms. MacDonald,

    I think that art and music is less important in the future because if I was going to be a vet I would not play music to animals. Also if I was a vet I would not be doing art I would be helping animals.

    I think that math would be the most important. I think that they would be the most important because math I would have to add or multiply maybe for how much it cost or the blood preasure things. That is why I think that math is important and art and music not so much.




    From your student,

    Isabella G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ms. MacThiel,
    I think that P.E. isn’t a very important school subject. Sure it can be fun but really unless you’re planning on becoming a professional football player you really don’t need to know how to play. Many people might become sports players but not me and so for those reasons P.E. isn’t a very important subject to me. On the other hand I love math, writing and music. I can see them all coming in handy later on in life. Math helps people everyday wherever you are at the grocery store or maybe just waiting till your friend arrives at your house. Writing well I would like to become an author when I grow up so you can see why that would be important to me. And then my dad is a music minister and my mother is a professional choreographer and so I mean that sort of is a family thing. So now you can see why I think P.E. isn’t as important as math, writing and music.


    Sincerely,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ella,
      Wow! I never thought that math, writing and music were so important to you. It is really cool how music is important to you. Most people think it is a waste of time and I thought that you did too. Yes, music is fun but what do you learn from it? I never thought that music would be a tradition. I knew that you liked math. You always took going to math so seriously and....well you just seemed like the kind of person who would like math. I learned, that you are great at writing and AMAZING at poetry. So, I pretty much knew you liked math and writing but I never knew you liked music! And I would have to agree that I won't use P.E.

      Your friend,
      Emma F.

      Delete
    2. Dear Emma,
      I'm planning on becoming an author and an actress when I'm older and Music will be very important to me. I'm also now playing the violin and dance has always been part of the family (even though we don't really use dance in music classes. ) But like I said my father is a music minister for his job and everyone in our family sings in a choir (except for our dog.) Well Emma as you can see I do think music is important for these reasons.
      Your classmate,
      Ella

      Delete
  4. Dear Mrs. Macdonald,


    I think writing will be useless in the future because I think a robot or some sort of machine will do it for you. I think the most important to me would be math and posting blog posts. Math is one of my favorites because math is confusing and I like working with numbers. I like posting blogs because it helps me get better at spelling and using fourth grade spelling words correctly.




    Your friend,
    Sofia,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ms. Mac Donald,

    I think that none of the subject’s would not be useless in the future. All the subject’s are taught for a reason. The teachers wouldn't teach the subject unless it was going to be useful in the future. I think that all the subjects would be useful because a lot of jobs require several subjects of knowledge. Education is very important you need it for just about everything. So of course you would need all the subjects.

    Sincerely,
    Your Student Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sophie,
      I agree because we need math to do taxes when we grow up. Also we need writing so that you coulds be an author when we grow up. Last we need reading to read street signs when we get our driver's licsence.


      From, Luke M.

      Delete

    2. Dear Sophie,


      I love the way that you think that all of the special are important because that is positive and nice to say to all of the teachers. Also I had a hard time deciding what to do and I never even thought of doing what you did. Also love that you said that all the teachers teach that special because it is important for the future.


      Your friend,

      Anika

      Delete
    3. I agree that all subjects are useful because they help you in life. Math helps you copulate thing so you know much money you u
      need to pay. Reading because you get to learn about what went on or is going on. Writing because If you want to become a author you learn the right ways to wright and you are awesome. These are just 3 reasons that I think that I think that all subjects are useful.

      Your friend,
      Jayden

      Delete
    4. Dear Sophie,
      Sure you might think all the subjects are useful but what about P.E. When you go t a store you're using reading, math and writing to help you get in and out of the store quickly but honestly will you really be doing cartwheels or playing football?? Sophie I know that you don't dream of being a professional sports player when your older so why is P.E so important??
      Your classmate,
      Ella

      Delete
  6. Dear Ms MacDonald,
    I think that reading is the most important because if we couldn't read you couldn't send messages to each other in world war2 and 1 because we couldn't read! Also, if we couldn't read we could not read cool books. Also, We need every subject because if it wasn't important it shouldn't be a subject at all. Also, without them we would not really be smart we wouldn't get jobs and it would be crazy.




    From, Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ryan,
      I totally agree with you. I think that every subject will be useful in the future. But, for me I think that chemistry will be most important in the future for me though. Because I want to be a chemistry teacher. But reading is next important because you have to read the standards that you have to teach by.

      From,
      Stephen

      Delete
  7. Dear Ms. MacDonald,
    The most useless subject is writing because I don’t see myself in the future being a author. In the future I don’t want to have writing in the future. The most important subject is art because I do see me as an artist and I love art. I think it will be important.

    Your friend,
    Riley O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Riley,
      I'm sorry but I kindly disagree with your statement. See if you are going to be an artist you'll still have to write essays at some point in high school or college. And what if you had never learned how to write that way?? I'm sorry but think writing will be very important to you someday and you'll look back and say "I'm very glad I learned how to write like this in fourth grade."

      Your classmate,
      Ella

      Delete
  8. Dear Mrs.MacDonald,

    I think that music and art are the least important because I am planning on being a vet and when you are a vet you usually don’t need those subjects for being a vet because you wouldn't use a musical instrument to heal an animal same with art. Then I would think that math is the most important because you half to calculate the bad blood cells and good ones.Also you would half to calculate how long the stitches stay in and how much medicine to give the animal.
    That's why I think art and music are the least important and math is the most important.






    From,
    Devin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Dear Devin,

      I totally agree with you! I do think that music and art are the least important because of course if you wanted to be a vet like me you wouldn’t play music to animals same with art. Also, I do think that math would be the most important because the blood pressure and the medicine you need to use math to see how much you need and stuff. That is why I agree with your answer.






      Your best friend,


      Isabella










      Delete
    2. I think that is true. You need math and not music or art at a vet. You gave a good response. You explained all of it in your own way and you did not look at someone's response.

      Delete
    3. Dear Devin,
      I liked your response because you explain your answer in school or an educational way. I also like the way you throw in a few facts.You did a good job of explaining your reason.

      Sofia Q,

      Delete
  9. Dear Ms. MacThiel

    I think that Reading will probably be completely useless in the future. As long as you can read then you will be ok. Besides Reading is just like writing but backwards. I think that math will be the most useful. You need to know how to do it to get a good job. Like if you want to be a banker or a person who works at a cash register you need to be able to count money. Or if you're a construction worker you need to know angles and how to measure things. There are more jobs that involve math so that proves math is important and reading is not.



    Your friend,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mrs. MacDonald and Mrs. Thiel ,

    I think the most useless subject at school in the future is going to be Art because it only teaches us about art and it only has a little bit of knowledge. Plus, many people don’t want to grow up to be an artist. I think that Math and reading because if you don’t have math you’re not going to get anywhere in life. When I didn't know my math facts I felt behind in math, but now I know my facts and I feel caught up. If you don’t have reading you won’t know what went on in the past or what’s going on today. I didn’t know what species frogs where from, in preschool, so I checked out a book from the library and learned more about it. That’s the three subjects we will and will not need in the future.

    Your student,
    Jayden

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2/5/14




    Dear Mrs. MacThiel,

    I don’t think there is a subject that could not be useful in the future. I think this because if you couldn't write you couldn't apply for a job. Also, if you couldn't read you couldn't do a lot of things like read bills. Another one is, if we did not have science we wouldn't have medications and if we didn’t have medications we would all be dead. Finally, if we didn’t have math we wouldn’t have energy or cars. That is why I think all subjects are important.



    Your student,
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nathan,

      I like what you said. I agree that all the subjects will be useful in the future. The subjects are obviously all there for a reason. I also liked how you said your response in a way so the reader doesn't really want to disagree with you.

      Sincerely,
      Sophie H.

      Delete
  12. Dear Ms. MacDonald and Ms. Thiel

    I think that writing will be useless in the future. Yes, I LOVE writing but what are the chances of me becoming a writer? I may need to write something once in a while but not too often and its good to learn once in a while. For example, short stories didn’t help me but they’re fun enough to call usefull. However, essays are useful because they can show others how you feel about things and they can persuade you. But both are fun, and some are usefull.
    I think I will use reading in the future because it is exciting and lots of jobs need you to read papers. First it is exiting because it can open a new world. It can tell about magic worlds, secret worlds, western worlds, and other creative worlds. Reading can help you open up your imagination. Next, in most jobs people have to read papers or E-mails or schedules. Boring stuff like that, but you still use reading. Then again NOT in a fun way. So there’s ups and downs about reading but I think all reading is important.

    Your student,
    Emma F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Emma,
      I disagree with your statement. You are one of the best writers I’ve ever met!! And plus even if you don’t become a writer you’re still going to have to write essays sometime. And Emma what if you do end up being a writer?? As you can clearly see writing is not completely useless>

      Your classmate,
      Ella

      Delete
  13. Dear Mrs. Macdonald,

    I think that history is the subject that will be completely useless in the future. Why? Well… In the future there will be too much past to teach. That would be would be way too much for the teachers to remember. And in the future they will be learning about this time. So why would they have to learn about way before us? It would just make the kids in the future have to know way too much for them to take in. If you know what I mean.

    In the future the most important subjects to learn are math and science because in the future we need smarter scientists in the future. To keep on making inventions we need smarter people to make the world more intelligent. Math and science are what it mostly make up a scientist. I once watched a bit of obama's speech on T.V. and he was saying that with smarter americans in this world, makes America smarter. That day I told mom that vets are really smart, and I love animals, so me being a vet would make the U.S. a better place. So, now you see that we will need math and science in the future.

    From,
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Dear Faith,

      I loved your blog response. There is just one thing that I disagree with and that is a history will be the completely useless subject. I think this because if you know nothing about the past and your kid asks you what is the holocaust you have to look it up on the internet . That is an embarrassing. And we do not want to repeat that invent and if you don’t know about then how are you going to stop it. Now, I get that they will hopefully not but propelling have some more bad stuff to teach us but still. That is what I think.

      From,
      Lauren B

      Delete
    2. I agree with History being useless because you won’t try to sail with a giant boat with oars. I also agree with math and science being important. Science is important because if we didn’t have science a plane could not fly a boat could not sail and the only transportation is walking. If math didn’t exist we couldn’t calculate the number of volts of electricity in a light bulb and the only light would be flames.

      From,
      Topher.

      Delete
  14. Dear Mrs. MacDonald,

    I think all subjects are useful. But there is just one that stick out. I think P.E. is the most useful because it help you stay active. It teaches you new things. And if you are not that active it gives you a chance to stay active. It encourages you to boost all of your might in to exercise. Plus, adult really need to get up and stay active. It teaches yo when you're young that exercise is fun because when you're old you don't really want to learn anything new. Another thing that you could use in the future is math. You could use it by doing your taxes and cutting up food. The time I used math is when are school did a holiday shop and i brought money. I went shopping and when I was done I had to add up all the items and if I did not know how to add I would of not gotten wonderful gifts. Same thing with the store when you're older you have to add up the items. Plus, you need math to cut food equally. There are lots of more reasons why you need math and P.E. in life but you can see why you need them and why they're so important. These will help you in life so much if you work hard now. Try.

    From,
    Lauren B

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Ms.MacThiel,

    I think the subject or subjects that will be useful in the future are probably Math,Reading,and Writing. Math because in high school math will get harder and you’ll have even more homework with math on it. Reading when you have free time you’ll have to read when you get older and older.
    Also Writing your going to have to write essays, opinion and other stuff.
    The subjects you will not need most in the future are well none because you're going to need them all.Here are reasons why, in your school you do math and every subject at home you go shopping and you have to do math to figure out how much $ you have and how much to spend.

    Sincerely,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Mrs. MacDonald,

    I think that the most useless subject would be a specials because when I am older I am going to be a teacher and I will teach those subjects and specials won't help with anything. I think that it looks fun to be a teacher and teach the subjects. Thats why I think that specials is the least important and the most useable would be all of them because writing is important so that you could write letters to each other, also reading would be important because if you couldn't read your own writing and last i think that math is important because at the store you have to have the right amount of money to buy the stuff you need.

    From:
    Emma B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Emma Bell,
      I like the way you said I instead of you. I also liked how you were explaining your thinking and saying why it wont go on in your life. You also said I want to be a teacher when I grow up. Of curse you will not be going in to specials classes because when you are a teacher you are most likely busy. I love the way you wrote yours. It really took me in you opinion.

      Your friend,
      Lynsey C.

      Delete

    2. Dear Emma,


      I do agree with you mostly. If you are going to be a teacher you don’t exactly need specials. The only reason you would need specials was if you were going to be a specials teacher. Otherwise I think that you are correct.



      Your friend,

      Isabella

      Delete
  17. Dear Ms.MacThiel,
    I think the least helpful subject is P.E you can not learn much and we get recess so it doesn't help much for getting exercise.
    I think the most helpful subject is writing because in writing you learn essays and important ways to write and it can help you attend college.

    Your student,
    Topher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Topher;
      I kindly disagree with your opinion. I think that P.E. is exercise in a more organized way. However; I do agree that you need writing. It can get you into collage, but it can also be a whole money making career. I guess I do and don't agree with you.
      Your friend,
      Corbin

      Delete
    2. Dear Topher,
      I think that you have a good point that we already have recess but you can never have enough exercise in the day plus it is very fun.
      From,
      Devin



      Delete
    3. Dear Topher,
      Your response was exactly like mine. Except for the fact that I included math in my important subjects category. But I totally agree that P.E. is completely useless (unless you’re planning on becoming a professional football player) which I am not. Anyway I do agree that writing will help everyone a lot in the future. Everyone will end up writing essays at some point in highschool so as you can see we were both on the same page.

      Your classmate,
      Ella

      Delete

  18. Dear Ms.MacThiel,


    I think that music will not keep going in my life. I think that because you know if you are in to sports you are not going to be learning about music. I am not the best fane of music but I just think that I will not be learning that much about music when I get older. I want to be a sportsperson. That is why I think that music is least important.


    I think that math will for sure be in your life and my life. In math you have to mutaplie. Maybe you are at the store and you only have 5$ and you need to know how much I can bye. Also when you are baking you have to know your fractions to know how much you have to put in the mix. Math is pretty much used every day.

    That is why I think that music won't succeed and math will.


    Your student,

    Lynsey C.

    ReplyDelete


  19. Dear Ms. MacThiel,


    I think that all subject’s are useful and they all depend on what you want your career to be.

    I think that there is one that is a little bit more useful then the rest for my hopes to be an athlete. I think that PE should be the one that should be more useful in the future. It should be PE more often because it helps people get more outdoors. My favorite subject is PE also. Everyone should like the subject PE. It requires a lot of work. Sometimes it is even fun. In the future I hope PE is each day.





    Your student,

    Luke M.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that reading is important. Because, if you do not know how to read, you can't read signs and labels. You also can't travel in cars and read road signs .
    Your friend,
    Reilly p.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Mrs MacDonald,


    Math would help me the most in the future because I want to be in the oil and gas industry and from my Dad and looking at his computer he has to add a lot of billions, and trillions of product. Another way it will come in handy is because I will be able to help my children with math homework they have. The least subject I will need is art because it want help me in what I want to become when I grow up. I want need to draw when I am in the oil and gas industry.




    Sincerely,
    Caleb R.

    ReplyDelete

  22. Dear Mrs. Thiel/MacDonald;


    It might be a complete surprise, but I think that math will not be needed in the far future. This is because I think that we (we as in society, or our scientists of that time) will already have everything all figured out. All of the mathematics of the world; the super hydro jet 3000 or something to power flying cars, hover boards, perfect machines to make perfect angles, and anything they want!


    However; I do think that we will need-most importantly, History and science. Why?...Because there is always a past, for all we know; in one hundred years people could be studying what happened two minutes ago for us! People can always study the past, and they always need to because it can help them make their time a better and more efficient place-better than the past. I think that you always need science because their is always a new bacteria to discover and a new sort of prodigy to find, and a new type of fish to look at in awe.


    These are the reasons that I think that-in the future people will not need math, and that they will need history and science.


    Your student;

    Corbin









    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Ryan,
    I do not agree that all subjects would be useful because what if you were a football player and you would not need to do math unless your coach would give you a math problem and he probably would not. At the same time your right if you became a scientist you would need most of the subjects. From what I think you are right and wrong depending on what job you want to have when you grow up. Also I think that reading is important because you are right you would not be able to read letters (not that there will be letters in the future) but you will need to read an email in the future so reading is important.


    Sincerely,

    Caleb R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Caleb,
      I do think that mat will be very important no matter what you are planning to be when you get older. If your planning in being a human you are probably going to need to use math. I do understand that math isn't needed in football but what about simply going the the store??

      Your classmate,
      Ella


      Delete

  24. Dear Ms.MacThiel,


    In the future the most useless is most likely art because you don’t need art to live unless

    you are an artist. You need reading because you need to read taxes and need to read because how would you read essays? You also need p.e because you need to keep healthy and strong. Next you need math because without math you could not get in college and exera. That is why art is the most useless special in the future.

    From your friend,

    Anika

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Mrs. Macdonald,



    I think that all of the school subjects will be useful in the future. I would use math because I would use it almost everywhere I go in the future.I would also use reading almost everywhere I go two. I would use science and social studies for if I get a job and if am a person that needs to know alought about this subjects. Last I would use writing if I want to become a professional story writer or author!



    Your student,

    Luke A.

    ReplyDelete